GIANT started back in 1923, when David Javitch opened a small meat market in Carlisle, Pennsylvania. He built the business on the idea of offering the “best products at the fairest price.”
Mr. Javitch did really well and in 1936, he bought a store in Lewistown, Pennsylvania, and named it the Giant Food Shopping Center. The store allowed customers to buy dry goods and perishables under one roof – a novel concept at the time and the forerunner to the modern grocery store.
Since then, GIANT/MARTIN’S has flourished. We are still committed to David Javitch’s original idea, translated today into helping our customers save money, save time and eat well.