Are you one of the millions of people who will start the new year in the gym?
Set yourself up for success this year by setting realistic fitness goals and asking yourself the following questions.
- Is my goal specific? It is important to be as specific as possible with your goal. This will allow you to work toward and achieve your goal. Think about the specifics when creating your goals, what exactly do you want to achieve and how will you go about it? Also remind yourself why you are setting this goal. What will you feel like when you are finished?
- Is my goal measurable? If you don’t make your goals measurable how will you ever know when you have reached them? You can make your goal measurable by pounds, miles, amount of time in the gym, etc.
- How will I hold myself accountable? It is important that you hold yourself accountable for reaching your goals or have an accountability partner. It is important to be kind to yourself – reaching your goals takes time!
- Is my goal realistic? Be cautious, don’t set yourself up for failure. It is not realistic to lose 30 pounds in one week, but it is realistic to lose 30 pounds in 3 months if you work hard.
- What is the timeframe of my goal? It is important that you give yourself a timeframe to achieve your goal. In the end you may need additional time or you may finish early but if you don’t create a timeframe it will be extremely easy to push your start to tomorrow, next week, or even next month!